Christmas in Malaga is quite longer than other countries. The most important presents day for kids is on 6th January with "Los Reyes Magos" (The Three Wise Men), so you mainly live 3 weeks with vacation mood.
Fortunately, Malaga has a great weather and lovely sunny days that will allow you to experience a charming Christmas without cold and snow.
We suggest you the following things to do during your winter holidays in Malaga!
1. LIGHTS & MUSIC CHRISTMAS SHOWEvery day at Larios Street, Malaga city centre! At 18.30 hrs, 20.00hrs & 21.00hrs.
|Lights & Music Christmas Makaga Show|
2. CHRISTMAS MARKET AT THE PARK AVENUEFrom handcrafted products to fashion gifts, you will find great ideas for Christmas presents. This Chrsitmas market is surrounded by palms and parrots at El Parque. You will find another small Christmas Market at the pier Muelle Uno too.
We recommend you to do some route to see the different representations and Nativity Scenes. Start at the Malaga Town Hall (el Ayuntamiento) or The Cathedral for example.
|Christmas Malaga Market at El Parque|
3. 24th DECEMBER & CHRISTMAS DAY24th December, Christmas Eve (Noche Buena) usually is a family evening at home and it is not easy to find opened restaurants after 20.00 hrs.
But there is a lovely atmosphere in the city centre of Malaga during the afternoon! During the last years, it is very usual to celebrate with friends "Tarde Buena" (which means a nice afternoon). You will see the streets with a lot of people having fun at the bars.
On 25th Dec is Bank Holiday and main shops and restaurants are closed too. But we recommend you to walk through the harbour and relax: Muelle Uno Malaga or the promenade located at Paseo Maritimo Pablo Ruiz Picasso.
|Christmas Muelle Uno - Malaga|
4. 31st DECEMBER & NEW YEAR´S EVEOn 31st December, New Year´s Eve in Spain is very important you finish the year eating 12 Grapes (Eat them fast! One per second): Countdown 12 seconds before midnight at the rhythm of the bells at Puerta del Sol, in Madrid.
This is supposed to bring you good luck for the new year (and remember to bring some Red underwear). You can buy the 12 grapes at many supermarkets.
Usually, locals have dinner at home and turn on the TV at 23.45 hrs to see the Puerta del Sol´s clock and eat the grapes at the same time. (You need to be aware that most places are closed during the evening at the city centre).
Although, at 00.00 hrs in Plaza de la Constitucion, Malaga you can start 2019 with the rest of the citizens. Just remember to bring your own grapes and Champagne to enjoy the lights show offered in Larios Street and the entertainment.
|New Year´s Eve in Malaga|
Cocktails and drinks? Most bars located in the city centre will be opened to celebrate the party this special night.
If you are looking for Dinner & Party (around 100€ per person), we recommend you to ask directly at the following restaurants and hotels: Grupo La Reserva, Hotel Larios, Batik Hotel.
On 1st January we recommend you to relax at Pedregalejo & El Balneario area, 40 minutes walking distance from the city centre of Malaga
5. 5th JANUARY & THREE KINGS PARADEProbably the best of this period, the magic evening for children and adults when the Three Wise Men will leave you the presents (if you have been a good boy/girl on 2018, of course).
During the afternoon of 5th December, a huge parade with LOS REYES MAGOS is done through Malaga city where candies are delivered through the streets.
|Parade: Cabalgata de Reyes Magos in Malaga|
Some people do the final shopping and families and friends eat " Chocolate con Churros" and the most important, the special cake for this day: El Roscon de Reyes.
On 6th January is Bank Holiday as well but restaurants will be completed because people walk through the streets to enjoy the last holiday day and show their Christmas & Reyes presents.
|Roscon de Reyes: Traditional Cake on 6th January|
GENERAL TIPS FOR CHRISTMAS HOLIDAYS IN MALAGA
Don´t miss the Top 10 Things to Do in Malaga and explore other cities around with our available day trip from Malaga on 24th and 30th December as well. Also, have in mind...
- If you would like to have a drink with nice views, please consider the following TERRACES & ROOFTOP BARS IN MALAGA.
- For a perfect day in Malaga, don´t forget the main things to do during ONE DAY IN MALAGA
We also recommend you the GUIDE TO MALAGA BLOG where you will find very interesting and updated information!
|Relax in Malaga - Not everything is shopping & snow in Christmas Time|